Preparation Day Soup
This is a great beef and vegetable soup that you can make on Friday, preparation day, and will last thru Sunday for 2-3 people.
For more than 3 people, you may need to increase the recipe by 1/2 to last through 2 dinners.
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 15m
- Total Time: 40m
- Category: Soups/Salads
- 2 lb ground chuck, cooked, reserve 2 tbs drippings
- 2 tbsp. sweet basil (opt)
- 32 oz organic chicken broth
- 6 - 15oz. cans Libby's or Libby's Natural mixed vegetables, drained
- 2 tsp. salt
Gravy Recipe - recommended but optional
- 1/2 c water
- 2 tbsp. ground chuck drippings
- 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 3/4 c milk
- Cook chuck in large soup pot.
- Drain off 2 tbs drippings for gravy, discard remaining drippings.
- Add basil, mixed vegetables, broth, salt.
- Place on stove on med-low heat.
- ******Make Gravy in small saucepan.
- Put drippings in saucepan.
- Sprinkle the flour over drippings; cook and stir over medium heat until brown.
- Gradually stir in milk, whisking with a fork then gradually whisk in the water.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring constantly, until the gravy thickens, about 5-10 minutes. Gravy will be thick*****
- Add gravy to soup.
- Cook on med. an additional 10 min.
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Serve when ready.